Friday 16 January 2015

Yoga - My Experience




I started Yoga around 2 years ago and then left because I probably got lazy!

I was the sister who never was really into the gym - it really bores me! I would rather do a class as it's much more motivating.

So just before the new year, around October time, I started going to my local Yoga classes again.

As it had been so long, I signed up to 5 classes a week! Some may call me crazy but that's what I needed to get back into the exercise routine and motivate myself again. Paying upfront also meant I wouldn't change my mind. After the initial burst, I would go 4 times a week and currently it has gone down to 2/3 times a week.

Yoga is not as easy as it looks! It is intense and you do get used it but every class, even now, tests me and my stamina - but I love it! I leave the class feeling energized and glad I got up that morning!  The class will stretch every body part (internal & external).

My experience of Yoga in the first month was unbelievable - I had lost inches around my waist and hips! (Even my teacher was impressed!) I have pictures where it looks visibly different, but I don't think you need to see them!

I saw huge improvements to my flexibility and movement and my body has become more toned!

Alongside the physical aspect, Yoga is also mentally good for you, it helps you remain calm and teaches you discipline.

As you practice a lot of breathing techniques it helps you take some time out, relaxing the mind & body.  Coming in with a clear mind is the trick to holding those postures as steady as you can! If your mind is full of clutter, you will be wobbling all over the place!

It is also very important to maintain breathing evenly throughout your class so you can get through the poses with ease.

Mainly, I practice Yoga to keep fit, lean and toned. It is good to stretch those muscles and remain as flexible as possible.

I do try my best to eat clean and healthy as possible (I'm not perfect so there have been many days I reach for chocolates, biscuits and the weekend cheat meals!), so diet is as important as the Yoga to achieve the maximum results.

I know many people in my classes with back problems, knee problems etc and even a girl who has a fear of flying (which is where the breathing techniques really help!). Although I am no expert, Yoga from my experience and from reading is also supposed to be medically beneficial for many things. You do of course need to inform your teacher of any problems you may have so you can sit some postures out.

It is also worthwhile noting that there are many different types of Yoga, so check with your local classes about which you think you would prefer.

If you want to challenge your body and try something new, give these a try :




F & F

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment